An effort to compile data about the theories and what not discovered on the whiteboards throughout Black Mesa and Xen.
You can find images of the whiteboards discussed here
Summary of whiteboard subject mattersEdit
|c0a1x_labboard_am1||Lorentzian wormhole theory|
|c0a1x_labboard_am3||Some kind of mass spectrometry|
|c0a1x_labboard_am4||More Lorentzian theory|
|c2a4x_labboard1||Schematic for the lasers and some easter egg stuff|
|c2a4x_labboard2||Various explanations as to how things work on the tau|
|c2a4x_labboard3||Something to do with nuclear weapons|
|c2a4x_labboard5||Decay of particles (tauons) and how they are focused into beams|
|c2a4x_labboard6||Quantum field theory|
|c2a4x_labboard15||Budget discussion. Message to Anthony not to steal Dr. Horns pizzas. Mention of cascade ciphers (AES-Twofish-Serpent.)|
The Dr. Bottomley / Dr. Horn Whiteboard aka "The Big One" — SOLVEDEdit
This whiteboard is the one with the notorious lines of code on it. Except for basically explaining in black and white (literally) how to activate the large laser at the end of the level, it makes a couple of references:
- 1.21 GW is a reference to the amount of electricity needed to power the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future
- There is a scribble by Dr. Horn: "'DO NOT WIPE BOARD! --DR. HORN"'
- Another scribble says: "NB - DO NOT ALLOW SECURITY OFFICER SISK NEAR MY PIZZAS - HE WILL EAT THEM >: ( - DR. HORN"
- v = f λ is written on the top-left half of the board. It is a reference to sinusoidal wavelengths and the equation explains how the constant velocity (v) of a wave (also referred to as the "phase speed" of the wave) is equal to the frequency (f) of the wave times the wavelength (λ) of the wave.
The cipher on this whiteboard has been solved. See Code D for more information.
The Accelerated Lepton Optronic Linearity CannonEdit
Ain't that a mouthful? Anyway, this board appears to break down the laser cannons that are found throughout the lab--the ones necessary to completing the final laser puzzle. The schematic is pretty detailed, and there are a few interesting equations on the board. Boy, doesn't that lambda look familiar? Anyway, here's what this board has to offer:
- Another signature by Mr. Horn: "DO NOT WIPE BOARD! --DR. HORN"
- The equation encased by a yellow cloud is the equation for (drumroll!) a half-life! In other words, the half-life (t1/2) of the decaying quantity is equal to the natural log of 2 (ln2) which is equivalent to 0.693 divided by the decay constant (λ) of the decaying quantity; or t1/2 = ln2 / λ
- The line-graph with the solid, red and dashed lines is an explanation of the Sunyaev-Zel'Dovich effect (SZE) on a cosmic microwave background (CMB) spectrum. To put a long story short, it's explaining how the SZE (solid line) increases the CMB (red line) at higher frequencies--although it lowers the CMB at lower frequencies--thus making it possible to view galaxies in a stronger light. In other words, CMB is radiation that floats around in space, and by measuring it scientists can get a better picture of where things lie. The SZE is especially useful because it can be measured to determine how far away things are from Earth by using proportional data gathered from SZE signatures. The dashed line is probably just there to show the correlation / slope of the graph.
- The formula under the line-graph, kBTe / mec2, is a Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution in which "the kinetic energy distribution of electrons, ions and neutrals" is observed. The equation shown here is one derivation of the equations needed to calculate the temperatures of the involved particles--this one is used to calculate the temperature of the electron in the distribution. The formula to calculate the temperature for the ion is similar, and is "kBTi / mec2". These formulas are generally used to determine how much kinetic energy is dissipated into thermal energy.
- The diagram is of the actual ingame weapon Tau Cannon
- The title could be an acronym for A LOL cannon.
- See: Lapis Philosophorum
Five of the whiteboards contain circled letters: L O C U T S
"LOCUTS" is only missing another letter 'U' from spelling "Locutus", which is one of the circled names on Dr. Horn's "conspiracy" whiteboard. It is shown as the link between the "Sphere of Chon" and the 21 into 1 figure.
Locutus is a latin word that means spoken, having spoken, or he who has spoken. It is also a reference to Star Trek TNG, where Locutus of Borg was the Borg designation forced upon Starfleet Captain Jean-Luc Picard after he was assimilated by the Borg.
One theory about the circled letters is that they might indicate an order in which to read the whiteboards.
Another theory is that the missing letter (U) was intentional and indicates that Storm is telling us that the only thing missing from HALOS being complete is ‘YOU’ and that the 'reward' being offered to the first person to solve this mystery will be their involuntary incorporation into HALOS.
Xen A whiteboard #1Edit
Equations on the top leftEdit
- Abbe number
- Sellmeier dispersion equations
- Complex refractive index
- Equations for calculating the vector of a refracted ray using Snell's law and geometry/trigonometry.
Nano Lens Cross SectionEdit
This appears to be a diagram of a nanowire array hyperlens (see Superlens).
Text in the diagram:
Text above the top middle diagram:
Text next to bottom middle diagram:
EM Wave Polarization DiagramEdit
Equations on the top rightEdit
Xen A whiteboard #2Edit
Text on the left:
Use diffused scattered surface and organise photons via scattering analysis.
Gallium Phosphide used to slow light. (GaP) - Em = 250 cm2(V-1s-1) (300 K).
Image reconstituted with needle beam formed optronic laser surface plasmons to form focus.
Crystalline metamaterial anisotropic hyperlens development must continue around remaining further 'far field' limiting factors using spherical instead of cylindrical to improve the hyperbolic dispersion of visible spectrum light to between 90nm and 200nm.
This should allow for molecular level accuracy resolutions for the projection system.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ NB - Propagation of evanescent waves to increase resolution (use focus array Lab D) | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Em = Electron mobility
Text on the bottom right:
Charge density oscillations or surface plasmon-polarization waves.
Using the high resolution evanescent wave forms it should be possible to gain full colour hyper resolutions through the proposed array.
Xen A whiteboard #3Edit
Text in the middle:
Construct each prism lens base from used samples of exotic matter.
Trigonal axis orientation allows for splitting to create lens interfacial angles.
Most samples have partial conformity with constancy of interfacial angles.
Bi refringence optical qualities need digitising for wave refraction corrections.
Text on the right hand side:
Full colour projection will occur at higher resolutions should the beam photons be focused more using a needle beam optronic laser.
Use focusing arrays in labs X01 and X02, keep flux dispersal regulated with 500MW-694.3nm ruby booster (temp for testing only.) Booster used for HALOS binary stream normally.
Xen A whiteboard #6Edit
A secret messageEdit
The red numbers in the supply manifest list hide a secret message: “SOYOUTHINKTHISISASECRETMESSAGE”
'19 15 25 15 21 20 8 9 14 11 20 8 9 19 9 19 1 19 5 3 18 5 20 13 5 19 19 1 7 5'.split(' ').reduce((acc, num) => (acc + String.fromCharCode(64+parseInt(num))), '');
Supply drop scheduleEdit
On the right hand side of the whiteboard we find rosters listing four science teams.
|TEAM 1 — Geosurvey 1 - Biolab 1A stage.|
|TEAM 2 — Site 8 forward obs. - OP2 - Alert 1.|
| (?) |
|(?) Foreman [MIA]|
|(?) Nielsen [MIA]|
|(?) Stone [MIA]|
|TEAM 3 — Site 8 recovery|
|Junek ← lead.|
|Welsh ← survey.|
|Hubi ← comms.|
|TEAM 4 — Site 3C obs.|
|Jaggi||Dr Yiu - Team Specialist [provide flamethrower]|